Friday 18 June 2010

Lost in Orbit: Teaser

I've finally caught up with my story on this new blog, so here we go, this is the teaser to chapter 24:

I was tempted to turn around when the bus drove round the corner. I instantly moved so that Jasper was between me and the bus. He reached behind him without looking and grabbed my hand. He squeezed it gently then slowly pulled me towards the bus.

It was silent as I stepped on, maybe it was my mind playing tricks on me, but I felt as if everyone's eyes were on me. I would look different to what they might have been expecting, considering my hair was now significantly shorter than what I used to be. I slid into the first row of seats, desperate to be out of sight.

I hunched over in the chair and curled my legs up against my chest, the bus was full of chatter, but paranoia got the best of me and I couldn't help but think that the chatter was about me.

"I'm here," Jasper whispered, staring at me intently.

"What is wrong with me?" I asked, more to myself than anyone. Why was I reacting like this? Why was I so paranoid about what people were thinking of me? I hadn't done anything wrong. I hadn't caused any catastrophes.
I was just Alice Brandon.

I wasn't the girl whose boyfriend died in front of her. I wasn't the girl that had remained inside her room for the last three months. I wasn't the girl who was terrified of stepping inside the school gates in case the pain that had consumed her before came back again.

I was just Alice Brandon.

No comments:

Post a Comment