Saturday 28 April 2012

Built on a Lie Teaser


While I was looking for a place for Jasper and Angela to stay near to Volterra, I came up with Prato d'Era (admittedly, at first, it was because I liked the name) but once I did some research, I found that a) there are a hell of a lot of hills surrounding the tiny village and b) there is also an inn for visitors to stay in.

I found some pictures which I'm hoping are from the area. A lot of places for them to be alone, right?

Teaser under the cut - the chapter will be out Monday.


“I’m sorry, am I making you uncomfortable?” I asked, pulling back. His hand moved so quickly I barely had time to react before it was wrapped around mine. I’d scarcely moved a centimetre from his neck.

“No…it’s not that.” He stumbled over his words, looking away for the first time since I opened mine. I waited patiently for him to find the right expression. Finally, he did. “It’s just you’re the first person I’ve really shown this to.”

The first? “What about your family? They’ve never seen you in sunlight?”

“They’ve all seen it, some way or another, but I always tried to avoid it, if I could,” he said, distant. “It made me uncomfortable when they looked at me in the sunlight. Except Alice.”

My gaze flickered to his neck, to the biggest difference. “Was it because your skin reacted differently to theirs?” I asked without thinking. It was the only explanation I could come up with.

He smiled weakly. “They already knew how different I was.”

As he finished, I got the distinct impression he wasn’t going to tell me the truth. Maybe he didn’t want to admit to it…or maybe he didn’t even know himself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment